Dec 30, 2007

How To---Make a Paper Stand Holder

Hello everyone. Yes I realize it has been way too long since I have last written, but the holidays were upon me so I know you understand.

Today I would like to show you how to make a paper rack. This rack can fit paper up to 12x12. For less than $20 you can make a rack, exactly like the one pictured. And the good news....for $20 more you can double your rack size. I made the following one for my mother for Christmas after searching and searching for one like the stores have. Store racks will run you at least $60, plus shipping, AND you have to wait to get it (I could only find it online). My version will take you 30 minutes and it is instant gratification!

Supplies Needed
1. Actual Rack metal pieces---I bought mine at Target in the home storage section. They cost about $15 for the white racks and $20 for the black or chrome racks. You are looking for 12x12 metal squares. The box comes with about 25 metal squares and the round connectors you will use as the "feet" on your rack.
2. Zip Ties---You can find these anywhere, but I found home depot had the best color selection. I bought black to match my metal rack. They were about $3.00. You only about 50 of these guys.

How to Do It
1. Assemble your rack into two squares stacked on one another. You will not need the zip ties for this step. Simply follow the instructions that come with the metal rack and use the provided connectors. TIPS--The connectors on the bottom should be placed flat side down so that your rack will sit evenly on the ground. Also, be patient with the connectors, they are finicky. You will have extra pieces.

2. Take one of the extra metal racks and insert it into your bottom square horizontally. This will be your first actual rack. Then use the zip ties to connect the piece on the first square above the ground. Connect the metal with 4 zip ties--one at each corner. TIPS--You can either place the rack even on all 4 corners, or you can drop the back corners down one square, as to create a slanted effect so the papers will stay in the rack and not slide out.

3. Continue this process with all of your extra pieces.

4. Cut off the excess zip tie with wire cutters. I promise this is easier than scissors.

5. The top of your rack will have a larger open space then most of your slots. You can do what you like with this area, personally I found it fit 100 sheet paper packs that are bound.


6. You will be able to get 16 spaces for paper out of one set of pieces, so if you have more room, by all means, buy a second one and make a rack to fit all your paper needs.

If you did this and you love your paper rack, please leave us a comment--we would love to see them!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This a great idea! Thanks for taking the time to show us hoe to make it.

Anonymous said...

That is pure genius! Heading to Target to load up on the supplies! This will definitely come in handy at our next crop!
Gina
www.doullina.com

Hello Crafty said...

You're a genius! Love this idea!!

Bonnie
Hello Crafty

Bella Rose Creations said...

Thank you so much!!! I bought these for my craft show...and Yay now I have a use for them until Craft Season starts again!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW, an awesome idea. On my way tomorrow to see if I can get what I need.